Tuesday, March 11, 2008

January 8th – Masala Dosai


After a week in southern India I am totally in love with the food, it’s delicious! Masala dosais has become my favorite breakfast (see photo) alternating with idlis and their accompanied chutneys. Eating with ones right hand here is also very common and not hard to get used to again! I could make a long list of the food i love in the south, but you simply have to taste it! Idlis with chutneys and sambar, puri, paratha, roti, vadai, chutneys, uthappam, curd, lassis… and the list goes on. If you want to try yourself… this is a great website:

http://www.top-indian-recipes.com/indian-dosa-recipes.htm

My Indian friends in Geneva told me how the food was served in the southern states, so I was a little prepared. In most restaurants you receive a banana leaf (yes, a real one!) as a plate and a bit of water. First you wash the banana leaf. Then the watiter comes and dumps a big spoon full rice in the middle of the leaf continued with dhal, sambar. The idea is to swish it all together and scoop it up with your right hand and make sure it lands in your mouth… Not such an easy task to aquire! I got along fine eating with my right hand, but i usually made quite a mess! It is actually alot of fun trying everything, you just have to be a little daring. There is always a sink with soap to wash your face and hands afterwards anyways.