


Our last day at the ashram goes by very quickly. I have promised to do a small dance show at noon and will take the time to practice alone a bit before setting up the stage. I am a bit nervous as I have never danced solo in front of 20 people before… It will be a sort of thank you to Julius and the Ashram as it is the place of origin for my interest in Indian dance. I am honored to be able to do the show on the stage of the newly ingurated performance room upstairs from the general ward. Since it is practically impossible to get all the staff together at the same time I show Sister Insema some steps on her break between classes in general ward. Sister Josephine and Sister Agatha cannot come either so I show them separately in the students dinner hall.
Soon it is noon and people are filling into the hall to fill the plastic chairs we have set. The novice brother lends me his music system to play the songs. I begin with the 4 dances I know : Sloka, Nataisha Kowtvam, Swaravalli and Alarippu and end with a few steps of the dances I am currently learning called Stutti and Jatiswaram. It all goes well and was alot of fun to do. I think the more often I can perform in front of others the less nervous I will become. Finally being at ease on stage is just a question of getting used to it.
After lunch Julius drives us to Bagdora airport 10 km away. We have decided to fly to Kolkata. We are not up to taking the 12 hour day tray back again. A nursing student from one of the tea plantations joins us. Since Julius is often going to the ariport for guests he decides to treat the students to an outing when possible. Going to the airport is an event for each of them as they might never be able to take a flight of their own, due to the high price. Ast least this way they can get a feel of the place and see planes take-off and land. We find it very kind and considerate of him to do that. He tells us about some of his past experiences at the Ashram as we sip some tea and have a snack. He could serioulsy write a book about all the things that have happened there in the past 7 years.
Our flight is announced and it is time to leave. We both feel as if our time at the Ashram was too short… We will have to come back and visit again soon. After saying good-bye we go through customs and make our way on foot to the plane. The entire area is heavily guarded and there are armed military at every gate and around the plane. 1 hour later we land in Kolkata.
Soon it is noon and people are filling into the hall to fill the plastic chairs we have set. The novice brother lends me his music system to play the songs. I begin with the 4 dances I know : Sloka, Nataisha Kowtvam, Swaravalli and Alarippu and end with a few steps of the dances I am currently learning called Stutti and Jatiswaram. It all goes well and was alot of fun to do. I think the more often I can perform in front of others the less nervous I will become. Finally being at ease on stage is just a question of getting used to it.
After lunch Julius drives us to Bagdora airport 10 km away. We have decided to fly to Kolkata. We are not up to taking the 12 hour day tray back again. A nursing student from one of the tea plantations joins us. Since Julius is often going to the ariport for guests he decides to treat the students to an outing when possible. Going to the airport is an event for each of them as they might never be able to take a flight of their own, due to the high price. Ast least this way they can get a feel of the place and see planes take-off and land. We find it very kind and considerate of him to do that. He tells us about some of his past experiences at the Ashram as we sip some tea and have a snack. He could serioulsy write a book about all the things that have happened there in the past 7 years.
Our flight is announced and it is time to leave. We both feel as if our time at the Ashram was too short… We will have to come back and visit again soon. After saying good-bye we go through customs and make our way on foot to the plane. The entire area is heavily guarded and there are armed military at every gate and around the plane. 1 hour later we land in Kolkata.