Saturday, July 9, 2011

Geneva Flea Market







This morning the sun shone through my kitchen window, it was time again for a visit to the local flea market. I enjoy taking a stroll and looking at all the old things people have taken out of their cellars and attics and have carefully layed out on display to sell. As I walked along the rows of stands I couldn't help but notice the variety: antiques, furniture, carpets, books, records, jewelry, paintings, frames, clothes, etc. Surely something for everyone's taste.

Over the years I have grown to love old furniture and every now I take a look and see what they have. Some of my visits have been fruitful and it is often when I am not lookin for anything in peculiar. So far I pocess two early 1900 dressers and a wonderful old writing desk with rounded mirror and bench. An appartment or house can say a lot of who is living there. Ours, as most of you probably know, has been decorated with travel souvenirs from around the world and a mix of Ikea furniture and a few old fashioned items. I see no need in having expensive designer furniture to feel at home.


Each visit to the flea market takes me back in time when people had objects that would last for ages and not just be thrown away when something more modern came along. May yesterday's old objects find a new owner that will take care of them in their new life.