Saturday, December 4, 2010

Geneva stands still under the snow





Last Wednesday Geneva woke up to a city covered in snow. The last time so much snow had fallen in the city was in the 1960’s. And it continued to snow all day. Groups stood waiting at the tram and bus stops. Many buses were not running, or only partially, due to the lack of snow chains. Cars moved at snail speed and some even had to be pushed by pedestrians when they got stuck! The airport was closed as well, there was just too much snow for planes to take off or land. Machines were clearing the runways all day, but could not keep up with the new layers that accumulated.

I love the snow. It reminds me of my Canadian origins, the cold and a REAL winter. It was great watching adults and children play in the park, teenagers throwing snowballs at each other giggling. Somehow the snow has a way of bringing out the child in us.

I was surprised to hear so many people complaining and grumbling about the situation as I walked to my dance class. I was well equipped with a down jacket, warm gloves, scarf, hat, rain pants and hiking boots. It was magical seeing the city under a layer of white fluff. It took me ½ hours to reach my destination, but it was really worth the effort.