Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Yiriba - African Dance Workshop



Last Sunday I participated in my first African Dance Workshop with musicians and dancers coming from Burkina Faso. It all began with the concert of Madou Zon last Friday.

http://www.maiauparc.ch/programme.php?j=1&e=4

The group began playing in a yurt from Kazakhstan (part of a festival held in Bernasconi Park) that was full packed. After the pause they moved outside to continue playing in the open air. One by one some of the Africans present began dancing in a middle of a circle that had formed around the musicians. Faster and faster they turned and jumped doing up to 4 saltos in a row, headstands, etc. It was utterly fascinating. They danced alone and in groups, according to the beat of the music. I always thought that Africans had dance in their blood and it always looks so easy for them. They seem to simply know how to move their bodies freely, dance and sing for any occasion, expressing their joy or sadness. I have always been envious of this capability, which no other culture in the world seems to equal…

The next day I saw this the same musicians again perform for the Yiriba dance troupe at the “La Rue est à vous Festival” in my neighbourhood. It was mesmerizing watching their graceful and powerful moves. When they played again just next to my building I asked one of the dancers if they gave any classes in Geneva. He smiled at me, handed me a flyer and said: “Tomorrow there is a workshop. If you want to come, please call this number”. I thanked him and left with a huge smile on my face. A workshop the next day! I signed up right away and hoped that I would be fit enough to follow them…

The workshop was held in a huge room an old school with lots of windows and a wooden floor. As I walked in I recognized the musicians from the previous days. Other dancers started arriving and were warming up with stretches. Soon we were about 15 students (all women), the teacher (Alidou Yanogo from Burkina Faso) and 3 of the Yiriba dance troup members (Mariam Pale, Alani Absoussanmadou, Adama Fofana) helping out with the beginners. I had seen all of them dance Friday and was curious to see what we would learn today.

First we began with some stretching and then divided into two groups, one on each side of the room with a leading teacher. Alidou showed us a few movements and then we followed behind him in rows of three advancing towards the musicians. With each dance the rhythm became faster as the music picked up in speed. In between the women would let out high-pitched cries and the others would clap their hands to the beat. There was an incredible energy in the room. The windows were covered in condensation and everyone was dripping with sweat… I loved the natural and free moves we made with our bodies flowing with each beat of the djembes, drums and xylophone. Alidou moved across the room like a bird with grace and lightness. After 3 hours I could hardly walk anymore or lift my arms to the last dance. The class ended with some stretching. This was an amazing workshop and a door opening up a new world to me. I think one of my next trips in the coming years will most definitely be to Africa…

http://www.yiriba.org/